City history: From the history of the Hünting estate

City history: From the history of the Hünting estate
ALL

If you ask about the sports facilities “Am Hünting” these days, the explanatory answer does not only refer to the street name, which is also the same. Most local experts associate this name with the popular football, the eventful times of the clubs 1. FC Bocholt and Olympia Bocholt and the open-air concerts on their spacious courses in the north of Bocholt - Am Hünting.
Except for a few from the older generation, hardly anyone will know the real meaning of this name.
It goes back to an old homestead that had existed halfway between the manor Efing and the house Hambrock for centuries. This farm has always been called “Hünting”. In the register of the land tax estimate of August 7, 1537, “Herman Huntijnck” is the first inhabitant to be recorded. 125 years later, a "Wilm upt Huntingh" lived on the farm, the treasury register proving that "burnt down". The landlord was the junker Peter Willm Schrieck until 1677, who sold the estate for 1.600 thalers to the men of Hambrock.
As 1751 Haus Büling (= Hambrock) with all farmsteads and estates to Dr. When Cornelius Hagemann was sold, Gut Hünting also came into his possession. His son Stephanus Hagemann succeeded him as feudal lord. Then it belonged to the two sisters Elisabeth and Aleida Henriette Hagemann. The Hünting estate was owned by Elisabeth Stach von Goltzheim in Rinteln at the end of the 19th century. The merchant Wilhelm Geuting from Spork acquired it from her at the turn of the century. The Bocholt Football Club 1900, which in the first year of its existence had rented a meadow on the Hünting estate for training purposes and to play football matches, tried in October 1901 to issue the licensing concession on the estate to Wilhelm Geuting on the 2nd July 1902 was finally granted. Since then the tenants and owners have changed several times.
The white plastered manor house with the inn, which could be reached from Hemdener Weg through an "avenue" that still exists today, had not been destroyed in the bombing on March 22, 1945, but was in a desolate state at the end of the war. In the course of the renovation of the sports facilities, it was finally demolished in summer 1952. With the final removal of the Hünting estate, the north of Bocholt lost part of its centuries-old identity. But really only a part! The gradual changes from the historical to the modern, from the economic to the sporty and from the tranquil to the living were always associated with the name of this almost forgotten farm. And the name has stayed. He survived the turbulent times with all their challenges, demands and standards to this day. A name with a true and unadulterated tradition, which is known and anchored far beyond the borders of the city of Bocholt: Am Hünting.
Photo: City Archive Bocholt, text: Wolfgang Tembrink

Made in Bocholt

About Made in Bocholt

Made in Bocholt is a news portal. The articles published here consist of press releases from various sources as well as author contributions, which are usually displayed by attribution.